Consanguinity: (kŏn'săng-gwĭn'ĭtē) , relationship by blood, whether linear or collateral.

Primarily concentrating on my Browning family from Harrison County, Ohio (and their subsequent move to Crawford County, Illinois) but I've got Plymell, Crago, Eagleton, Garrard, McConnell, Nichols, Swan, Nevitt, Huls, Markee, Depperman, Papstein/Popstein and Hamilton in there too. And that's just the beginning......

Monday, September 21, 2009

Monday Madness -- Browning Misinformation Soup

I've spent the better part of two days trying to contact everyone on Ancestry that has the misinformation posted about the family of Samuel Browning and Margaret Markee. I've only received two replies and one told me (in a clipped, irritated reply) that it wasn't their fault and that Ancestry.com automatically feeds information from Family Trees already in the system to any new ones.

Is this true and does Ancestry actually just place data that's already been input into the family trees of other researchers into your tree without your express permission to do so? If there are any readers that are on Ancestry and build family trees there, I'd appreciate it if you'd leave me a comment and tell me if it's true or was this person just blowing smoke up my you-know-what?

If true, that sounds very counterproductive to me, and that's why I'm not sure I believe it. We all know things are bad enough as they are without developing a environment where unsourced and unproven information leeches through entire systems without checks and balances. Like a virus....

It's driving me crazy!

I finally got sick and tired of posting messages to everyone and just referred them to the following link:

http://genforum.genealogy.com/browning/messages/4026.html

I hope that helps.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Patti

    I have a tree on Ancestry. What they do is give you a "hint" of what can be found on other trees and you have to confirm if and what info you want to accept onto your tree. From what I've seen they don't do it automatically.

    Alana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your response, Alana. I was hoping there was some sort of process of confirmation before it just fed information into your tree. That would certainly make better sense....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alana is correct. You are given the choice to add that information to your tree. Once it's wrong in one place and with a few clicks of the mouse, it is attached to other trees, so suddenly there is wrong information in more trees than there is correct information. It's a major problem and a tough one to sort out. I've been doing the exact thing on one of my ancestors. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete