Consanguinity: (kŏn'săng-gwĭn'ĭtē) , relationship by blood, whether linear or collateral.

Primarily concentrating on my Browning family from Harrison County, Ohio (and their subsequent move to Crawford County, Illinois) but I've got Plymell, Crago, Eagleton, Garrard, McConnell, Nichols, Swan, Nevitt, Huls, Markee, Depperman, Papstein/Popstein and Hamilton in there too. And that's just the beginning......

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Tombstone Tuesday - Rebecca Ann (Swan) Plymell (1839-1882) (and a surprise!)

To the left is the tombstone of Rebecca Ann (Swan) Plymell. She was born 6 Jan 1839, probably in Champaign Co., OH, and was the daughter of James Swan and Jane Taylor.

She married James Fuller Plymell, the son of James Plymell and Margaret ??, on 11 Jan 1855 in Crawford Co., IL. She and James had nine children (born in Crawford Co. IL and Jasper Co. IL) before the couple and their children moved to Paradise, Wise Co., TX.

Rebecca died in Paradise on 9 Jan 1882. She is buried at the Paradise Cemetery.

I'll be featuring Rebecca and her family -- as well as other members of her husband's family -- in my next series of posts. They are part of a fascinating string of letters sent between Texas and Illinois between 1881 and 1926. They allow us a unique glimpse into the prairie Texas life, yes, but they also illuminate some very human emotions. It's obvious how much those who'd left missed those who'd stayed behind.

In addition to the letter, I will also feature a VERY unique family heirloom. Have you ever wished you could somehow make copies of your ancestors and ask them all sorts of questions? I can't tell you how many times I've looked at my heirloom and thought, "If I just had the talent and the money, I could do just that!"

No comments:

Post a Comment